29 replies to this topic

#1 gleemax

gleemax

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 12:44 AM

Tooky, will you marry me?

Silence is good. Celerity is good too. But which is better? I think celerity. But I like silence more. :lol:

#2 Tooky

Tooky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 10:04 AM

depends on what your intentions are
Silence will force the marines to get MT early

#3 gleemax

gleemax

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 12:24 AM

I assure you, my intentions are honorable!

I should have said I was mostly talking about Combat, not NS Classic (which I rarely play now). So it's more of a "which upgrade is better first" type of question, since I usually get both. Actually, if you can keep a secret, I was just trying to get you people posting. Slackers.

#4 Zero

Zero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 07:09 AM

i personally prefer clerity if the rines cant aim well then i can do circles around them and never get shot if they can shoot well i would get silence and bite their behind lol

#5 [AoL]Renshai

[AoL]Renshai

Sspama

• Admin
  • 6746 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 01:53 PM

I prefer admin_godmode [AoL]Renshai 1

It's the only way I do good in NS, CS, or hell..any other FPS! :lol:

-Ren
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#6 gleemax

gleemax

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 02:06 AM

Okay, my topic sucked. NEW TOPIC: Do you like the extra levels add-on thingy? How about spawn protection?

Extra levels is interesting. In theory, I miss the ten level cap, because (before extra levels), if you spent all your points without getting a welder, you're out of luck if you want one later. Or, for the aliens: If you spend all but two points on upgrades/abilities, you can be a gorge, lerk, or skulk, but you can't be a fade or onos. I like that from a game design perspective. In reality, now I don't have to plan ahead, which is kind of nice. I think getting rid of the level cap favors aliens more than marines, but I could be wrong. I'm not a great marine usually. The extra upgrades are... well, I don't like most of them.

cybernetics: fun(ny), mostly harmless (I've never seen high levels of cybernetics; it could get annoying at high levels, but it seems fine with a cap of 5)
thickened skin, reinforced armor: fine
ethereal, ethereal tracking: I don't like either of these, but the ability isn't overpowered, so I don't really care that they exist.
static field, hunger: I don't really think these are overpowered, necessarily, but I don't like how much they change the game. They both have high requirements, so it's not a big deal either way. The game is usually over before these abilities appear.
blood lust: This ability is fine, but I hate infinite charge onos.

I hate spawn protection. When you have a bunch of skulks on the CC, and five marines are about to spawn, it shouldn't be difficult for the skulks to kill the marines (in that situation, with the marines dead and a large alien presence in the marine base, the round should be over soon). When the skulks can't hurt the marines for a short time, what happens is that the aliens retreat, die, or kill the marines anyway. One at a time:
1. Retreating artificially lengthens Combat games. Combat is supposed to be short. Way too many games are called on time (or nearly).
2. Dying to invincible marines is obviously messed up, since what should happen when the aliens are in an advantageous position is that they will kill the marines/CC and win the round. Instead, they die and the round continues. That sucks because it can change who wins the round (frequently, IMO; although there is no way to know for sure).
3. I'll admit that sometimes spawn protection doesn't change/ruin the game. Unfortunately, this rarely happens in the early game, when most of the aliens are skulks (and marines don't have heavy weapons or JPs).

I think spawn protection hurts aliens more than marines. There are a few reasons I can think of. The marine base is usually enclosed and small, without much cover for aliens. It doesn't take much LMG fire to kill a few skulks, especially when the marine doesn't have to worry about dying for a while. On the other hand, the hive room is usually large and open, which makes closing ground (as a skulk, to a marine) difficult without dying (but leap helps). And lastly, in my experience, I don't think spawn protection is a big deal when I'm a marine, but I hate it when I'm an alien (specifically a skulk early in the game; with a fade late in the game it's not a big deal).

Anyyyyyyway, that's what I think. It was supposed to be short, but it looks kind of long and rantish. Oh well.

Share your opinions or die! Please make them shorter than my post.

#7 Zero

Zero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 05:46 AM

i really dont like spawn protection because it really doesnt make a difference around the end of the game its just irrating waiting for it to wear off its good at the start against skulks but not more then that

the extra upgrades bah i like them but some of the requirements have to be changed like the static field its easier to get perma charge onos then static field i get static lvl one at most by then they have about 3 perma charge onos, webs, fades, lerks and xeno spam its almost imposible to get to the hive at that moment also cybernatics would be better if you could get higher levels of it like up to lvl say 7 or so its a lot faster. the other extra skills i got no issues with except hunger lvl 5 plus perma charge onos = gg

#8 Tooky

Tooky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 03:34 PM

I love the server a thousands times more if it didn't have the menu plugin, I rarely play with it when I play CO which isn't that often compared with NS.

#9 Zero

Zero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 07:15 AM

i often play on co severs dont like classic that much i prefer the combat instead of the stratagy of ns

#10 Naturalpt

Naturalpt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 05:36 PM

classic and co are all fine to me...
btw spawn protection helps vs hive nade whores so skulks have a chance to run for cover somewhere instead of spawning and gettin a nade to the face thus killin half the team from the explosion radius

#11 [AoL]Wanker2000

[AoL]Wanker2000

Sspama

• AoL Clan Members
  • 5426 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 12:44 AM

*does 3 push ups*

#12 [AoL]Iridium

[AoL]Iridium

Sspama

• AoL Clan Members
  • 2383 posts

Posted 02 May 2005 - 12:55 AM

I don't like either plugin :lol:.

As for your first question, I would say both upgrades are about even, celerity because it is just great for everything and silence because sound is probably the most important thing to use for locating aliens.

#13 gleemax

gleemax

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 12:57 AM

Who makes the decisions, anyway? I would like to convince/nag that person to lose the plugins. And change the time limit. Although I like the awards at the end of each round, that's because I'm a huge dork.

#14 Zero

Zero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 11:13 AM

we are all dorks in the inside

#15 [AoL]Renshai

[AoL]Renshai

Sspama

• Admin
  • 6746 posts

Posted 09 May 2005 - 10:51 AM

Who makes the decisions, anyway? I would like to convince/nag that person to lose the plugins. And change the time limit. Although I like the awards at the end of each round, that's because I'm a huge dork.

View Post

Usually, the leadership of the clan makes the decision. That would be Lucky and myself.

However, in this case... Lucky, Dem, Bob, and Iridium are the best individuals for making the choice (with lucky and I still having veto power) :huh:

-Ren
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users